Friday, September 3, 2010

Introduction: Why do I care?

Most people start blogs because they want to talk about something they love, or maybe they're trying to find others that share a common interest, I mean, there are all kinds of reasons.

A close relative of mine works in the environmental protection industry here in Kentucky, and as such she has really changed my perspective on the importance of environmental issues. I actually started this blog because here in Kentucky, the "going green" concept is still in its infancy. This is not surprising in a state that has deep roots in the coal, tobacco, and manufacturing industries. Going green is "going" to disturb a lot of pockets in this area, which is why the anemic rate of growth for this industry is not terribly shocking.

Unfortunately, all of that is quite irrelevant. The fact is, we have not been particularly good stewards of this wonderful planet we have been entrusted with. I am not going to grandstand as if I am the guru of environmentally conscious living. Heck, I'm just getting started actually.

Which brings me to the purpose of this blog. I wanted to force myself to learn as much as I can about the "green" concept. This blog gives me a platform to post said information for others so they can use this blog as a source of information. In other words, I do the research so they don't have to. I will be posting anything I can find that I think will help others in their quest to go "green", or on a lesser scale, just be more conscious about how we treat our home planet.

Now, many who view this site will be far more seasoned in the "green" lifestyle, especially at first. Feel free to post your comments, or even hints on how to improve this site. I will try to keep this site filled with new info as much as I can (I work in IT, so sometimes they hold us for ransom and I don't have time to sleep, much less post :-). But I sincerely appreciate your patronage, and I hope everyone can learn something from this site.

Thanks,
Ron G

No comments:

Post a Comment